Welcome to Thunderbird Add-ons.
Add extra features and styles to make Thunderbird your own.Close
Quote Colors & Collapse 4.2.1
by Alexander Ihrig
Configure text and background colors of quotes in mail and news messages. From up addon version 3 (Thunderbird 91) you can collapse quotes.
About this Add-on
Please uninstall any other, older variants of the add-on (the old one from "Malte Rücker" or the variant from "Intika"), which can also be found here on addons.thunderbird.net. Unfortunately, it was not possible for formal reasons to combine the old variants with this newly revised add-on in one project, which is why the update from the other variants to this new add-on does not work directly either.
If collapsed quotes are displayed incorrectly
In the addon manager, check whether "Toggle Quotes" or the deprecated "QuoteCollapse" are still installed. These cause display issues if only disabled. They must therefore be completely uninstalled and Thunderbird restarted once.
Quote Colors allows you to assign text and background colors to different quote levels which are applied when reading or printing mail or news messages. Five quote levels can be configured with distinct colors.
You can choose between two quoting display modes: graphical quoting with colored bars around quoted paragraphs (default), and traditional plain text quoting where each quoted line starts with one or more ">" characters. In graphical quoting, the color, position and style of the bars is adjustable.
Additionally, this add-on enables you to set up some basic message display options such as text, background, link and signature colors.
The source code of the add-on is open source and is available at GitLab.
You are welcome to submit your feedback in English and German in the forum. We can also best solve any problems there. You are also welcome to contribute to improvements for the translation of the add-on there: https://www.thunderbird-mail.de/forum/board/88-quote-colors-collapse/
The options of the add-on can be found directly in the add-on manager under the open list entry of the add-on.
- Add option to show few more lines for first collapsed quote level
- The display of the quotation levels can now optionally also be activated for the compose window.
- A separate set of colors is used for light and dark mode themes
- Added / incorporated "Quote Collapse" feature, which has to be enabled in the options dialogue. Per default citations were not collapsed.
- 3 (configurable) command keys for toggling all quotes collapsed versus expanded (Alt + Q), expand one more level (Alt + E) or collapse one more level (Alt + C).
- Dark mode colors do work in Thunderbird 102, so you can have the message pane with dark background and bright text colors at least for Plaintext and Sanitized HTML modes.
- 4.2.0: Adapted options UI / CSS to fit for latest Beta and Daily builds
Features currently no longer possible:
The display of the quote levels in printed messages can no longer be adjusted using the add-on. Maybe this will be possible again in the future.
- Source code released under Mozilla Public License, version 2.0