Welcome to Thunderbird Add-ons.
Add extra features and styles to make Thunderbird your own.Close
British-English Dictionary (GB) 1.1.2
A strict British-English spell checker dictionary for Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey. This dictionary only includes words conforming to the preferred standard of British-English spelling.
About this Add-on
This dictionary aims to include only those words conforming to the preferred standard of British-English spelling.
The original base word list and dictionary contained over 150,000 entries, compiled from various public domain sources. Entries that do not conform to the preferred standard of British-English spelling are removed.
The base word list and dictionary continue to be improved:
- Missing entries are discovered and added
- Ongoing reviews flag undesirable words which are removed. An update is generally issued when several hundred entries have been added since the previous one.
This dictionary contains words conforming to the preferred standard of British-English spelling.
- "-ise" is preferred over "-ize", "-sation" over "-zation", etc.
- US-English spelling is not allowed (e.g. "color", "odor", etc.)
- Some (few) universally-recognised words are allowed and included: Words like "movie", "bike", "soccer", "vacation", et al.
- Common proper names are included; not just common British / English names but also common names from around the world.
Installing and usage
Make sure you have the relevant language pack installed. As this is British-English, you need the official Mozilla English (GB) Language Pack.
- Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/english-gb-language-pack/
- Thunderbird: https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-gb/thunderbird/addon/tb-langpack-en-gb/
Once your language pack is installed, add the dictionary.
- Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/british-english-dictionary-gb/
- Thunderbird: https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-gb/thunderbird/addon/british-english-dictionary-gb/
Restart Firefox/Thunderbird (if required).