Welcome to Thunderbird Add-ons.
Add extra features and styles to make Thunderbird your own.Close
SmartTemplate4 2.2.2 Requires Restart
SmartTemplate4 offers an easy and powerful way to automatically create customized replies by auto-inserting various mail headers. Templates can be created for every mail identity. Supports Stationery Add-on for file-based templates.
About this Add-on
SmartTemplate⁴ is the next generation of the popular addon SmartTemplate
You can use it for automatically filling fields like first name, last name into your reply email, or adding keywords to the subject line. You can even change the reply-to address based on search words with powerful match & replace functions. 25,000 users agree that it is a great time saver. In conjunction with the Stationery Add-on you can manage many powerful html templates for all your email needs.
SmartTemplate⁴ is currently translated in the following 18 languages:
German, Dutch, English, Spanish, Finnish, French, Italian, Japanese, Occitan, Polish, Brazilian (Portuguese), Russian, Serbian, Slovenian, Swedish, Ukrainian, Simplified Chinese and Tw Chinese.
If you would like to help translating SmartTemplate⁴ into your own language, please visit the Babelzilla.org
The current Version can be found here:
- Custom templates can be automatically used for compose, reply and forward messages
- supports HTML and plain-text
- adding your signature to your mail template (from Thunderbird Account settings)
- Define separate templates for new messages (compose), reply and forward messages
- Mail templates can be used by a single account or common for all accounts
- Intelligent content in your template by use of keywords (variables)
- This add-on does not change the default config settings. (e.g., mailnews.reply_header_xxx) *
* This means that global settings and other Addons are not affected by its installation
- Version 0.8.5.6 onwards internal functions rewritten into ECMAScript5 strict mode ("use strict";) for more security
- Version 0.9.3 onwards do support the integration of Stationery Add-on for more power with HTML e-Mails!
As of July 2019, SmartTemplate⁴ is financed via a yearly license - there is an affordable standard license (around 5 bucks, that less than 50cents/month) and a more comprehensive Pro license which will give you additional premium features. The reason for this is that unlike compiled software that runs on an operating system, the constant changes on the host mail software (Thunderbird) require substantial ongoing changes with a high effort; something which cannot be provided for free ("as in beer") anymore. You may have noticed many Add-on authors abandoning their Add-ons on Firefox and Thunderbird because it was not possible for them to support their Add-ons anymore - this is directly caused by not trying to involve the users in funding the required work.
You can find example templates & many more on our Support Site.
Please email us if you find a bug or have a question instead of reporting your issue in a review.
If you have any problems, please contact us via email (see following). Incomplete bug reports without any comments or detailed bug description are not helpful to anyone.
Alternatively you can post your Bugreport on our Support Site (Bugzilla account required).
• Contact Marky Mark DE (available languages de, en-US):
• Contact Realraven (Axel Grude) (available languages de, en-US):
Support & Troubleshooting
For effective assistance, we need the following information:
- which OS you use
- your installed Thunderbird version
- your templates (you can save them with the purple button beside the Accounts drop down). If you are using Stationery you can send that as well
- composition & addressing options in account settings
- mail account type (IMAP or POP3)
- which kind of mails are affected (HTML or Plaintext)
From 2.1.1, if you have a license you can find a support form on the rightmost tab of the advanced settings dialog; this makes it possible to write me an email directly.
To help to reproduce your problem, is it more helpful when you attach some screenshots to your problem report if you contact us. We also have a detailed Troubleshooting guide that explains how you can generate an error log.
If you want to help with development or see the source code, it's on github. License is open source: Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-ND 4.0) which means you can use some of the source code (with attribution) but not build a competing Add-on from our source code.
Thanks to carlitus for his great Noia Iconset, which is used on our settings dialog.
Development of the original SmartTemplate by gaby_hy (H. Yasuda) has stopped (2012) for time reasons. SmartTemplate⁴ was based on this original addon with written friendly permission from the original author.
Source code available at:
You may have noticed many Add-on authors abandoning their Add-ons on Firefox and Thunderbird because it was not possible for them to support their Add-ons anymore - this is directly caused by not involving users in funding the required work.
- Increased the trial period to 28 days. As adoption of the Standard License were decent I want to give more users a chance to test SmartTemplate⁴ with the next version of Thunderbird.
- On popular demand, I localized the license shop for Japanase, Russian, German, Polish, Italian, Spanish and Dutch users. Additional Domain Seats can now be purchased after the fact.
- Removed License button animation in sliding notification for Linux and Mac systems as allegedly they cause performance issues on some systems. Fixed OS specific style paths so they work again.
- 2.2.2: It is now possible to use the
%dateformat()%function with the
%X:=sent%modifier when replying to / forwarding emails.
- [issue #3]
Allow displaying leading zeroes for parts of %dateshort% and %datelocal%
You can now modify the following settings in about:config
extensions.smartTemplate4.dateformat.hour = "numeric"
extensions.smartTemplate4.dateformat.day = "numeric"
extensions.smartTemplate4.dateformat.month = "numeric"
extensions.smartTemplate4.dateformat.year = "numeric"
hour: change to "2-digit" for forcing 2digit hours in datelocal / dateshort
day: change to "2-digit" for forcing 2digit day in datelocal / dateshort
month: change to "2-digit" for forcing 2digit month (dateshort only)
year: change to "2-digit" for forcing 2digit year (dateshort only)
- Made sure settings dialog is not cropped by right hand edge of screen.
- Wrote some backward fixes for Thunderbird 52. In the last version the file smartTemplate-overlay.js didn't load successfully because of importing XPCOMUtils.jsm in a non-backward compatible format. (ChromeUtils.import replaces Components.utils.import from Tb60 forward)
- [issue #5] In 2.2.2 - finally fixed %timezone% to correctly calculate the offset time. Also added CEDT and MESZ.
- [issue #4] Fixed locale problems. SmartTemplate⁴ due to a regression in 2.0 the current locale of the mail client cannot be correctly determined.
- [Bug 26688] Multiple %matchTextFromBody% in a line yielded only a single result. This is now fixed also for %matchTextFromSubject%, so they can better be used multiple times in the same template.
- Fixed status icon mode on Thunderbird 68 startup.
- Source code released under Custom License