Welcome to Thunderbird Add-ons.
Add extra features and styles to make Thunderbird your own.Close
SmartTemplate4 2.0 Requires Restart
SmartTemplate4 offers an easy way to automatically create customized replies by auto-inserting various mail headers. Templates can be created for every account as well as for the default (all email accounts). Also supports the Stationery Add-on.
About this Add-on
SmartTemplate⁴ is the next generation of the popular addon SmartTemplate
You can use it for automatically filling fields like first name, last name into your reply email, or adding keywords to the subject line. You can even change the reply-to address based on search words with powerful match & replace functions. 25,000 users agree that it is a great time saver. In conjunction with the Stationery Add-on you can manage many powerful html templates for all your email needs.
SmartTemplate⁴ is currently translated in the following 18 languages:
German, Dutch, English, Spanish, Finnish, French, Italian, Japanese, Occitan, Polish, Brazilian (Portuguese), Russian, Serbian, Slovenian, Swedish, Ukrainian, Simplified Chinese and Tw Chinese.
If you would like to help translating SmartTemplate⁴ into your own language, please visit the Babelzilla beta
Why is SmartTemplate⁴ published by an other author?
Development of the original SmartTemplate by gaby_hy (H. Yasuda) has stopped for time reasons. SmartTemplate⁴ builds on this original addon with written friendly permission from the original author.
The current Version can be found here:
- Custom templates can be automatically used for compose, reply and forward messages
- supports HTML and plain-text
- adding your signature to your mail template (from Thunderbird Account settings)
- Define separate templates for new messages (compose), reply and forward messages
- Mail templates can be used by a single account or common for all accounts
- Intelligent content in your template by use of keywords (variables)
- This add-on does not change the default config settings. (e.g., mailnews.reply_header_xxx) *
* This means that global settings and other Addons are not affected by its installation
- Version 0.8.5.6 onwards internal functions rewritten into ECMAScript5 strict mode ("use strict";) for more security
- Version 0.9.3 onwards do support the integration of Stationery Add-on for more power with HTML e-Mails!
You can find example templates & many more on our Support Site.
Add-on Compatibility Reporter Add-On
If you have any problems, please contact us via email (see follow). Wrong bugreports via "Add-on compatibility Reporter" extension without any comments or detailed bug description are not helpful to anyone.
Please email us if you find a bug or have a question instead of reporting your issue in a review. The review system only allows us to respond once and this may not be adequate for resolving your issue.
Alternativly you can post your Bugreport on our Support Site (Bugzilla account required).
• Contact Marky Mark DE (available languages de, en-US):
• Contact Realraven (Axel Grude) (available languages de, en-US):
Support & Troubleshooting
So that we can assist you more effectively, we need the following information:
- which OS you use
- your installed Thunderbird version
- your templates (you can save them with the purple button beside the Accounts drop down). If you are using Stationery you can send that as well
- composition & addressing options in account settings
- mail account type (IMAP or POP3)
- which kind of mails are affected (HTML or Plaintext)
To help to reproduce your problem, is it more helpful when you attach some screenshots to your problem report if you contact us! We also have a detailed Troubleshooting guide that explains how you can generate an error log.
Thanks to carlitus for his great Noia Iconset, which is used on our settings dialog.
- [Bug 26494] ESR 2018 readiness - Make SmartTemplate4 compatible with Tb 60
- [Bug 26523] Remove extra line break before blockquote if standard quote header is used.
- [Bug 26524] %datelocal% and %dateshort% are broken in Tb 60
- [Bug 26523] Completed various translations (ru, pl, nl, sr)
- [Bug 26526] %file% causes rogue errors "The Variable %5C.. can not be used for new messages" when including images
- [Bug 26551] Add Domain License key support for SmartTemplate⁴ Pro
- [Bug 26552] %attach% Variable for attaching [pdf] files
- Address Book: Added feature to replace firstname with Display Name if no first name is recorded.
- Added Indonesian Locale - thanks to Mienz Louveinski (Babelzilla.org)
- [Bug 24993] Premium Feature: Added support for using the following fields when composing a *new* Email:%subject% %from% %to% %cc% %bcc% %date% %dateformat()%
- [Bug 26596] Make extracting Name from (parentheses) optional - extensions.smartTemplate4.names.guessFromMail
- [Bug 26595] Option to disable guessing Name Part
- [Bug 26597] Add ?? operator to mmake parts of address header arguments optional, e.g. %from(name,??mail)%
- Added option for default address variable format
- Source code released under GNU General Public License, version 3.0