Welcome to Thunderbird Add-ons.
Add extra features and styles to make Thunderbird your own.Close
SmartTemplate4 2.10.1 Requires Restart
SmartTemplate⁴ offers an easy and powerful way to automatically create customized replies by auto-inserting various mail headers. Templates can be created for every mail identity, Stationery files can now be imported and used directly.
About this Add-on
SmartTemplate⁴ is the next generation of the popular addon SmartTemplate
You can use it for automatically filling fields like first name, last name into your reply email, or adding keywords to the subject line. You can even change the reply-to address based on search words with powerful match & replace functions. 17,000 users agree that it is a great time saver. In conjunction with the Stationery Add-on you can manage many powerful html templates for all your email needs.
SmartTemplate⁴ is currently translated in the following 18 languages:
German, Dutch, English, Spanish, Finnish, French, Italian, Japanese, Occitan, Polish, Brazilian (Portuguese), Russian, Serbian, Slovenian, Swedish, Ukrainian, Simplified Chinese and Tw Chinese.
If you would like to help translating SmartTemplate⁴ into your own language, please visit the Babelzilla.org
The current Version can be found here:
- Custom templates can be automatically used for compose, reply and forward messages
- supports HTML and plain-text - some features are HTML only.
- adding your signature to your mail template (from Thunderbird Account settings)
- Define separate templates for new messages (compose), reply and forward messages
- Mail templates can be used by a single account or common for all accounts
- Intelligent content in your template by use of keywords (variables)
- This add-on does not change the default config settings. (e.g., mailnews.reply_header_xxx) *
* This means that global settings and other Addons are not affected by its installation
- Version 0.8.5.6 onwards internal functions rewritten into ECMAScript5 strict mode ("use strict";) for more security
- Version 0.9.3 onwards do support the integration of Stationery Add-on for more power with HTML e-Mails!
As of July 2019, SmartTemplate⁴ is financed via a yearly license - there is an affordable standard license (around 5 bucks, that less than 50cents/month) and a more comprehensive Pro license which will give you additional premium features. The reason for this is that unlike compiled software that runs on an operating system, the constant changes on the host mail software (Thunderbird) require substantial ongoing changes with a high effort; something which cannot be provided for free ("as in beer") anymore. You may have noticed many Add-on authors abandoning their Add-ons on Firefox and Thunderbird because it was not possible for them to support their Add-ons anymore - this is directly caused by not trying to involve the users in funding the required work.
You can find example templates & many more on our Support Site.
Please email us if you find a bug or have a question instead of reporting your issue in a review.
If you have any problems, please contact us via email (see following). Incomplete bug reports without any comments or detailed bug description are not helpful to anyone.
Alternatively you can post your Bugreport on our Support Site (Bugzilla account required).
• Contact Marky Mark DE (available languages de, en-US):
• Contact Realraven (Axel Grude) (available languages de, en-US):
Development & Troubleshooting
For effective assistance, we need the following information:
- which OS you use
- your installed Thunderbird version
- your templates (you can save them with the purple button beside the Accounts drop down). If you are using Stationery you can send that as well
- composition & addressing options in account settings
- mail account type (IMAP or POP3)
- which kind of mails are affected (HTML or Plaintext)
From version 2.1.1, if you have a license you can find a support form on the rightmost tab of the advanced settings dialog; this makes it possible to write me an email directly.
To help to reproduce your problem, is it more helpful when you attach some screenshots to your problem report if you contact us. We also have a detailed Troubleshooting guide that explains how you can generate an error log.
If you want to help with development or see the source code, it's on github. License is open source: Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-ND 4.0) which means you can use some of the source code (with attribution) but not build a competing Add-on from our source code.
Thanks to carlitus for his great Noia Iconset, which is used on our settings dialog.
Development of the original SmartTemplate by gaby_hy (H. Yasuda) has stopped (2012) for time reasons. SmartTemplate⁴ was based on this original addon with written friendly permission from the original author.
Source code available at:
You can also find there a discounted sale for Pro and Standard licenses for the 2 weeks following easter!
- [issue 59] External templates: SmartTemplate⁴ now supports image tags with relative location. This will make external templates management more compatible with Stationery and make it easier to preview / trouble shoot our templates in a web browser.
In order to use relative image paths, such as <img src="images/img1.jpg"> these tags must be included in a html template. To use this in an account template, simply include the external html file using the %file()% variable. When SmartTemplate opens the file, it will now remember the file's location and be able to insert images from this position, just like when loading a stored web page.
After placing the cursor in the template field, expand the dialog via Advanced and open the chapter fixed variables. Then Click on the
%file()%variable and select a file from disk.
- [issue 56] Support including external style sheets. Use the new %style()% variable to insert a style block wtih CSS rules. Also, supports relative paths, just like %file()%.
- Remember the last path separately for opening templates from the menu directly.
- [issue 51] Outgoing SMTP always using DEFAULT account. When changing the from address from the drop down before editing the email, Thunderbird did not internally change the from header, which could cause emails to be sent from the wrong account. This is now fixed.
- [issue 54]Fixed: ST4 now removes unwanted empty lines in reply/forward headers in plain-text emails.
- [issue 55] Added back some of the support for Postbox, which was broken since v2.1. You can find patched versions of previous releases at the issue.
- [issue 58] If firstName is guessed from the address book field DisplayName, it can lead to last name duplication in case a format like
%from(firstname,lastname)%is used and the first name field in the address card is empty.
- Source code released under Custom License