Welcome to Thunderbird Add-ons.
Add extra features and styles to make Thunderbird your own.Close
SmartTemplate4 2.8 Requires Restart
SmartTemplate⁴ offers an easy and powerful way to automatically create customized replies by auto-inserting various mail headers. Templates can be created for every mail identity, Stationery files can now be imported and used directly.
About this Add-on
SmartTemplate⁴ is the next generation of the popular addon SmartTemplate
You can use it for automatically filling fields like first name, last name into your reply email, or adding keywords to the subject line. You can even change the reply-to address based on search words with powerful match & replace functions. 17,000 users agree that it is a great time saver. In conjunction with the Stationery Add-on you can manage many powerful html templates for all your email needs.
SmartTemplate⁴ is currently translated in the following 18 languages:
German, Dutch, English, Spanish, Finnish, French, Italian, Japanese, Occitan, Polish, Brazilian (Portuguese), Russian, Serbian, Slovenian, Swedish, Ukrainian, Simplified Chinese and Tw Chinese.
If you would like to help translating SmartTemplate⁴ into your own language, please visit the Babelzilla.org
The current Version can be found here:
- Custom templates can be automatically used for compose, reply and forward messages
- supports HTML and plain-text - some features are HTML only.
- adding your signature to your mail template (from Thunderbird Account settings)
- Define separate templates for new messages (compose), reply and forward messages
- Mail templates can be used by a single account or common for all accounts
- Intelligent content in your template by use of keywords (variables)
- This add-on does not change the default config settings. (e.g., mailnews.reply_header_xxx) *
* This means that global settings and other Addons are not affected by its installation
- Version 0.8.5.6 onwards internal functions rewritten into ECMAScript5 strict mode ("use strict";) for more security
- Version 0.9.3 onwards do support the integration of Stationery Add-on for more power with HTML e-Mails!
As of July 2019, SmartTemplate⁴ is financed via a yearly license - there is an affordable standard license (around 5 bucks, that less than 50cents/month) and a more comprehensive Pro license which will give you additional premium features. The reason for this is that unlike compiled software that runs on an operating system, the constant changes on the host mail software (Thunderbird) require substantial ongoing changes with a high effort; something which cannot be provided for free ("as in beer") anymore. You may have noticed many Add-on authors abandoning their Add-ons on Firefox and Thunderbird because it was not possible for them to support their Add-ons anymore - this is directly caused by not trying to involve the users in funding the required work.
You can find example templates & many more on our Support Site.
Please email us if you find a bug or have a question instead of reporting your issue in a review.
If you have any problems, please contact us via email (see following). Incomplete bug reports without any comments or detailed bug description are not helpful to anyone.
Alternatively you can post your Bugreport on our Support Site (Bugzilla account required).
• Contact Marky Mark DE (available languages de, en-US):
• Contact Realraven (Axel Grude) (available languages de, en-US):
Development & Troubleshooting
For effective assistance, we need the following information:
- which OS you use
- your installed Thunderbird version
- your templates (you can save them with the purple button beside the Accounts drop down). If you are using Stationery you can send that as well
- composition & addressing options in account settings
- mail account type (IMAP or POP3)
- which kind of mails are affected (HTML or Plaintext)
From version 2.1.1, if you have a license you can find a support form on the rightmost tab of the advanced settings dialog; this makes it possible to write me an email directly.
To help to reproduce your problem, is it more helpful when you attach some screenshots to your problem report if you contact us. We also have a detailed Troubleshooting guide that explains how you can generate an error log.
If you want to help with development or see the source code, it's on github. License is open source: Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-ND 4.0) which means you can use some of the source code (with attribution) but not build a competing Add-on from our source code.
Thanks to carlitus for his great Noia Iconset, which is used on our settings dialog.
Development of the original SmartTemplate by gaby_hy (H. Yasuda) has stopped (2012) for time reasons. SmartTemplate⁴ was based on this original addon with written friendly permission from the original author.
Source code available at:
- [issue 31] New premium variables to remove text / tags from quoted parts.
%deleteQuotedText("searchText",quoteLevel)%Deletes quoted Text
%replaceQuotedText("searchText","replacementHTML",quoteLevel)%Replaces quoted textsearchText - must be in double quotes - the searchText argument must be a regular expression. Note that whitespace can be best represented as \s because it can also contain line breaks. Commas and double quote characters cannot be used.replacementHTML - must be in double quotes - text or a html tag which will be inserted in page.quoteLevel - optional, (number) which minimal quote level to start from.
%deleteQuotedTags("selector",quoteLevel,minSize)%Deletes tags from the quote
%replaceQuotedTags("selector","replacementHTML",quoteLevel,minSize)%Deletes tags from the quoteselector - what you would use to address the tag in css. simplest case "img", or "p" but attribute selectors can be added as long as double quotes can be avoided.quoteLevel - A note on quoteLevel, for images I would recommend 2 if you want to remove images to retain some context in your replies. This will dramatically decrease email sizes in long threads which contain a lot of images (e.g. screenshots).minSize - (optional, numeric) - number of kByte, minimum size for removing the tag.
This way you can keep smaller images like icons / emojis while discarding large images.
- Variables window: Added documentation for address book functions and modernized layout. Added accordion UI to minimize scrolling. Simply click one of the headers to expand an article.
- [issue 33] New variable %mailto(body)% for including body text for internet mailto links in template. Also slightly improved behavior if body is empty, so that standard template can be used when a mailto link is clicked on.
- [issue 35] Extended
%identity%with the variable 'addressbook' in order to extract extended info from the Address Book based on an email match, some examples:
The addressbook variables also support using the optionality syntax [[ ... ]] in order to leave out a section of text or html if the particular addressbook field is empty.
The following line will be omitted if State information is not available from the address book for the current identity:
- Completed translations for locales: cs, es-ES, fi, it, pl,pt-BR, ru, sl, sv-SE.
- The template editor boxes now resize vertically with dialog for easier editing.
- Added international examples for
%dateformat%in the variables tab.
- Fixed: [issue 30], [issue 32], [Bug 26755]
Some reply / forward buttons were missing the file template dropdowns.
- [issue 36]
Fixed: Smart-Reply button is missing template menus / template menus not working on combined "Reply All" / "Reply to Sender" / "Reply to List" button in preview header area.
I have added a simplified menu solution for this case. Instead of having template submenus for each command, clicking a template below the smart buttons is modified through the keys [Shift] and [Ctrl]. The template items will:
- trigger the top command (e.g. reply all) by clicking on any templates below
- trigger the 2nd command (e.g. reply to sender) via Shift+click
- trigger the 3rd command via Ctrl+click
- Fixed: [issue 38] Images with encoded file URLs are not loaded correctly. An image tag that contains URLencoded characters can lead to the image not being loaded, for example:
- Source code released under Custom License