The main purpose is to:
- reduce size of message (emails > 5 Mb are generally blocked by ISPs).
- archive attachment files when sending email.
Features are the following:
* All platforms are supported. Tested versions are the following:
- Windows: XP sp3 (x86), Seven Pro sp1 (x64);
- Linux: Mandriva 2011-2 (x86);
- Mac: OS X 10.7 / Lion (x64).
* Available languages are: french (fr-FR), english (en-US), czech (cs-CZ).
* Compression format is "zip", using native Mozilla API, thus making the addon more stable and cross-platform, and reducing size of .xpi installation file.
* All or only a selection of attached files can be compressed.
* Files can be compressed individually or archived in one compressed file.
When archiving several files in one compressed file, it's possible to append a previous created compressed file if any exists.
* A toolbar button is added to composing window and allows to compress files. Its behaviour can be user-defined:
- compression of all attachment files;
- compression of selected attachment files only; an option allows to choose to compress all files anyhow when no file is selected.
* The user has full control on the way attachment files are compressed through all the 6 ways to "send" a message; "sending" a message can be "send now", "send later", "send in background", "save as draft", "save as template", or "auto save as draft":
- compress files or not;
- compress files only if no file has already been compressed (generally using dedicated custom toolbar button);
- allow undo (uncompressing) by adding undo information.
* Compression can be undone: Nb: This feature works only for current composing session (meaning that if compose window has been closed, then it's impossible to uncompress).
* Two filters can control if attachment files are compressed or not:
- a file size filter;
- a compression benefit filter.
* Files to compress can be filtered via filename criteria: regarding a user-defined list of patterns, attachment files can be included or excluded; the definition of patterns can make use of regular expressions.
* Files to compress can be filtered via format criteria based on file extension: regarding a user-defined list of extensions, attachment files can be included or excluded.
* Compressed attachment files can be renamed using 3 different methods:
(a) no renaming (except for extension which becomes .zip);
(b) a name is asked for each compression using a dialog;
(c) name is built using a user-defined pattern.
Nb: This feature is smarter enough to avoid doublons.
* Renaming pattern for modes (b) and (c) can contain some meta-data like:
- source filename;
- source file extension;
- source file index (= index of file in archiving queue);
- source files archived count;
- current date (format is editable);
- current time (format is editable);
- message subject.
* Extension of compressed files can be user-defined (useful to fool antivirus softwares in a business environment). Beware: changing default extension requires messages recipients know which attachments are compressed and how to uncompress them!
Nb: Extension can also be changed promptly through renaming dialog mode.
* File compression can be enabled/disabled regarding email recipients through user-given white and black lists.
* The feature of character replacement allows non-ASCII characters from filenames to be replaced by ASCII characters.
* Composer window status bar is used to display information to user. Embedded progress bar is also used during files compression.
* The add-on provides a 'debug mode' which writes information into embedded error console (see Tools > Error Console).
* Error and warning messages are also written into error console (regardless debug mode is enabled or not).
If for any kind of reason the add-on seems not to work properly, open error console and look for messages regarding add-on which could give you information about the issue (all messages are prefixed by add-on name).
If the issue is reproducible and you think it's an add-on bug:
1. Enable debug mode and enable 'Log messages in a file'.
2. Click on 'Export settings' to create settings file.
3. Proceed again (messages will be saved in debug log file').
4. Contact us and report us relevant and maximum information regarding the issue:
- screen captures of each step of the action which leads to the issue
- screen captures of each settings tab
- settings file
- debug log file
NB: Incomplete issue reports will not be answered.
Contact (bug reports, features request, etc.): [email protected]
NB: Usage support email will not be answered.