One of the best addons I've ever seen! It significantly increases page readability providing a lot of predefined themes and a very intuitive customization mechanism. I was using it for just over a year, but it was the best time in the life of my eyes! ...then I moved to Firefox Quantum... and now I badly need it again!
Excellent addon. I'm able to transform all sorts of uncomfortably bright websites into something easier to look at. And I can do it without completely rearranging everything (like with the Readability addon), or just dumbly swapping white for black like other addons.
I really with this would get updates for the new version of Firefox. I miss it greatly!
I love this app. but it won't let me use it on the updated firefox.
This is a great add-on, in tandem with f.lux/redshift it really helps with eyestrain and headaches from being on the computer.
I would disagree with a previous poster that it is intuitive; it really isn't. Yes, you can hover to see the tootips, but trying to figure out how to change the colors and predicting what change will cause what, is still a bit of a process. Also, for some reason it now starts up automatically set up to only colorize pages in the white list. This seems like a bit of a troll move, and is a recent change. Why u do dis?
Unfortuately, because the presets are either very dark/high contrast or very light and bright, you will likely need to make your own. You may end up spending hours getting 4 or so set up just right, only to log in one day to see it has either reset or the colors have changed. This seems to track with updates.
Also, the profile seems to save locally, as when I had to reset my comp, or if I log in from another comp, the color profiles are back to the default. I haven't been able figure out how to save/back up the profiles so I don't have to start from scratch every time.
Despite all of this, I would still recommend it, because when all is working right, it's AWESOME.
One last thing: I would contribute in a heartbeat if I could pay through Amazon. That's how Wikipedia gets me every year. Just about everyone has an Amazon account these days.
The following addresses most of the issues you mention:
- I suppose it takes a bit of learning to get the concept of a linear transformation in the HSL domain, since most graphics programs use multiplicative HSL transformations only. Another form of non-intuitiveness may be due to the non-intuitive use of CSS background images on many web pages, which is not my fault.
- The change to white list usage may be due to me not willing to release two updates just to 1) introduce a new option and 2) to set its initial value for new users to a value different from the one used before. Sorry for that.
- Let me know if the themes are ever reset again in the future. This should not happen, but it may be that an upgrade function for earlier versions gets executed repeatedly because it fails to clean up earlier saved themes.
- You may drag and drop themes as text, so you may also use this to move themes between profiles as long as themes are saved locally. You may also use this feature to store your carefully crafted themes in a text file.
- The presets are high contrast so as to maintain readability on arbitrary web pages (including pages with low contrast). If you have created some specific themes for commonly used web sites, please send them to me as text by dragging them as text from the theme buttons, so I may see how you are using this extension and may possibly publish them as a dedicated presets.
- I'll look into the Amazon payment option.
I installed this, but then all the info on what to do next disappeared. I cannot find the button '<' as suggested, on the button, either, So, unless I can get easy, (like you would tell a very old person!) instructions, I will not be using it, nor contributing to its development, Peter. I am sight challenged & need all the help I can get.
As always with software which is new to you, you start by playing around with it in an environment where it can't do any harm:
1) Just open a simple web page and try out all the panel buttons after reading their tool tips.
2) Load a page to which you would like to apply this extension and try to achieve the result you would like to see.
3) Try to save your settings so they are applied automatically.
You can always uninstall the extension to remove any changes you made, and then reinstall it for another test.
i really like it and find it easy to use self explanatory and useful as i have vision issues :) thanku这个评论是针对附加组件的一个早期版本的（7.0）。
Instead of using the sliders, I used the text output (when you drag a color preset)
Set the icons in place and drag the preset to your text editor
but i can't use the white list这个评论是针对附加组件的一个早期版本的（6.5.3）。
It works well, but it's not perfect.
For some reason, the whitelist feature doesn't seem to work properly.
Can't customize the URL color itself since it's part of Text group.
Can't really use this yet.
hay que andar leyendo como usarlo, muy enredado no es practico.这个评论是针对附加组件的一个早期版本的（6.5.1-signed）。
Thank you!!!! for giving me a way to stop the blinding white pages and match my dark themes of my beautiful linux mint desktop. Only question is can I make the email view in gmail change so far that is the only element that is staying white.这个评论是针对附加组件的一个早期版本的（6.5.1-signed）。
Although I absolutely love the idea I did not found any theme I liked too much and the default ones can screw with functionality on some websites.这个评论是针对附加组件的一个早期版本的（6.5.1-signed）。
All themes are fully configurable. Simply adapt them to your wishes.
> The user informed me that he would like to impose certain text or background colors on input elements.
Color Transform and Colorific cannot target elements of a specific type. Your best bet is to add specific CSS rules using e.g. 'Stylish', 'User Style Manager' or 'Color That Site'. Given that input elements normally don't contain background or foreground images, it should be possible to obtain a readable result.
> The user informed me that the lack of contrast in most themes led to e.g. indiscernible rating stars.
Color Transform and Colorific are not meant for contrast enhancement, but mainly for darkening pages in order to reduce eye strain in dark environments. However, Colorific's single-spectrum themes retain quite a lot of contrast, while e.g. a mere brightness inversion in Color Transform retains all contrast.
The deeper reasons for the reduced contrast in most themes of Color Transform and Colorific are the following:
Background colors cannot simply be set because they need to be matched to background images. Images require non-constant transformations in order to retain contrast. These transformations are always narrowing down the range of colors if they are to have a similar effect on both bright and dark pages. It is not possible to determine whether a page is predominantly bright or dark without rendering it, and even after that it is hard to estimate. In addition, it is impossible to determine whether text is shown on top of one or more elements which have a CSS background image. Hence it is safe to set text and background colors directly to values with high contrast only if one also hides all CSS background images. In most cases this is unacceptable, because these images have many uses on modern pages as icons and other artwork.
I like it very much, but i could not unsee this weird explanation point this add-on is adding for whatever reason. Would like to see that one fixed :-)这个评论是针对附加组件的一个早期版本的（6.5.1-signed）。